Saturday, April 12, 2014

Edited Artist Statement

I'm still having trouble ending it haha but here is the edited statement:



I am Latina – a woman of Latin descent. Religion and faith are embedded into my culture and my immediate family. I did not just practice my Catholicism at Mass or on Ash Wednesday or just on Easter and Christmas – for me, it was my identity.

For a long time I dared not to ever question my upbringing within the Church, but throughout the years I’ve become more curious into finding answers within myself.

In this work, I am exploring my religion and asking why it was so profound to my family and me. Through these photographs, I am documenting the connection between the Catholic religion and my family and how it affects and reflects within each individual. In capturing images for this body of work, the line between the home and the Church begin to blur and one is projected as a reflection to the other. I begin to examine the relationship between “saint” and “sinner” and question if it is even possible to be recognized within a portrait. Are we true to who we were expected to be and according to whom? These are some of the questions I hope to explore throughout these photographs and will continue to explore.  




No comments:

Post a Comment