Sunday, February 2, 2014

Adam Broomberg & Oliver Chanarin: Holy Bible







Revisited these artists - Adam Broomberg & Oliver Chanarin's Holy Bible. I had mentioned these artists last semester and remembered them because of the context of the material used in order to create the book. I've been thinking a lot about presentation of work and how that affects a series as a whole. Being in Senior Show I'm starting to think beyond just the subject matter and now going into how I want viewers to engage with my work. This is one idea I've had in mind instead of printing large. It's not concrete but it is an idea that I found refreshing and innovative, given that I can use more personal objects in order to bring the viewer closer to me. Broomberg and Chanarin put together this book by exploring with philosopher Adi Ophir's central tenet in mind: that God reveals himself predominantly through catastrophe and that power structures within the Bible correlate with those modern systems of governance. The images were selected from the Archive of Modern Conflict, which were then superimposed into the book and sometimes accompanied with short passages of the text underlined.

No comments:

Post a Comment